Monday, March 7, 2011

Horseman


I haven't been to the valley

but the prophet says I will
someday.
  
So does the battered book,
which had predicted the moors,
green lumps of rolling earth,
I wish I could say it was like
finding the needle in the saddlebag.
  
I am certain, till reason becomes
my jailor. Who is more wise,
the scientist or the preacher?
  
Both, it’s hard to say.
  
Physics tries to explain miracles,
how the world came to be,
till the next cataclysm.
  
You are defined by what I am not,
like everything turned inside out,
so the windmills gyrate.
  
And it’s the horseman who will ride
over the rolling moors.
  
Process notes: A poem whose landscape took off from Gorden Lightfoot’s “Don Quixote” with borrowed words, “saddlebag”, “battered book”, “prophet”, “moor”, “earth”, “jailor”, “needle”, “preacher”, “horseman”, “windmills”. As a reader, you may infer meanings from the poem, but really it’s as much your construct as my poem is one. Borrowing from physics, we are each “pocket universes” in a megaverse of diversity. In other words, there is not just one universe (as it seems) but multiple universes, and as “pocket universes” we’re each in our own valley in the cosmic landscape. I’m not sure if my process notes illuminates the poem. If it does not then it’s fine. Because the universe is a mystery and a paradox, and you know, each universe has its own law of physics anyway.
Poem for We Write Poems prompt: Make Your Own Wordle based upon self selected words from Gorden Lightfoot’s “Don Quixote” lyrics.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting spin of words from the song. It has a rather prophetic, riddling quality to it. I enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a needle in a saddlebag made me laugh out loud. I love "You are defined by what I am not." I need to chew on that one awhile. Well done! ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. "till reason becomes my jailor" - well, that happens all too often with me :-) Hope, you will reach the valley!
    Thanks, M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that comma: Both, it's hard to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You are defined by what I am not,
    like everything turned inside out,"
    very strong lines, Irene.
    Well done piece.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Yousei: Yes that's why I love writing poems. The spin!
    @Brenda: Well Don Quixote does that, turns everything inside out.
    @Mariya: It's not me, it's the narrator. And the reader.
    @b: Yup different people different strokes.
    @Pamela: Thanks, I like those lines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed that "needle in the saddlebag" really stands out, but also the way the book predicts geography. And "you are defined by what I am not"... way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've sent my thoughts in a host of different directions. Terrific poem.

    I'm intrigued: why have you chosen the (to me) difficult Blogspot, and how did Wordpress throw you out? About once a week or so I have to log back in to Wordpress, but apart from that, no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, Irene, I've been pretty scarce of late due to another project. Don't know how I missed this one. It's wonderful and I like the way you flip things around and make your reader follow you to different places and conclusion. Brava!

    And thanks so much for following along and reading what looks to be an epic in small portions,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your epic is inspiring. Thank you so much Elizabeth, for the thread. Myth is the deep structure to story. (I've gone back to wordpress)

    ReplyDelete